Sunday 27 November 2011

Sunday 27th November 2011 - 18 Miles!

I set off on my long run just before sunset and the weather was absolutely gorgeous for running.  A clear blue sky with only a gentle breeze.  I passed a horse and rider and we said a brief greeting about the weather.  A cliche but nonetheless I always enjoy friendly words with people on the lanes.  It makes me feel that life is good.

I ran down through Tallarn Green again and up the hill the other side.  As I travelled towards Holybush the sun disappeared and the sky gradually darkened from the east.  I love running through the dawn but I also love running through the dusk.  I love the sky when the colours change from one horizon to the other.  A beautiful pale red glow in the west and a dark, naval, blue to the east with the early stars appearing as if from nowhere.

I put my head torch on at about 10 miles and had a bit of a kuffuffle with it.  This is one area where I prefer running through the dawn. It's so much easier to take a head torch off than to put it on!  Eventually I sorted it but had to walk for a while while I faffed with it. The temperature dropped and as I was already soaked in sweat I got cold very quickly. 

I also started to tire.  I was dehydrated but found it hard to hydrate.  For some reason I couldn't stomach my drinks and even after over 3 hours of running I finished with half a bottle undrunk.  Another thing that went wrong was that I was trying out a fuelling plan to take in about 300 calories an hour of 'real' food.  But with a dodgy tummy from some alcohol last night I found it hard to digest my nut bars.  I'm writing this many hours after the run and I still have sharp pains through my abdomen and a feeling of general malaise. 

Finally, the last 8 miles were run through quiet empty lanes in the dark and because I'm a big wuss this always makes me up the pace slightly.  If you remove the miles with the hills in I was well under 10 minute miles for the last 5 or 6 miles.  All this added up to me finishing the run in quite bad shape.  Bad stomach, light headed, dehydrated,  weak legged, and above all very chilled.  It was a cold night and I had lost a lot of fluid to sweat early on so my clothes were all damp.  A bad combination on a cold night!

But on the bright side, it's another 18 miles in my legs and another mental battle won.  Ever since the run I've been a mess and I think I'll feel like this until I've had a proper sleep.  Speaking of which... that's my next plan!

One last thing.  I counted the money from yesterday's collection.  We got a grand total of £76.33 from the good generous people of Wrexham!!  I've added this to my total on the Virgin Money Giving site giving me a grand total of £432.33 raised so far! I'm as pleased as punch about this.  Delighted in fact!!

Peace, out!

JUST THE FACTS!!
Weight: 81.1 Kg

TODAY 
Distance 18.72 miles
Time  3:17:29
Kcal  2,210
Press-ups 0
Swimming 0 m
Sauna  0 mins

TOTAL
Distance 197.63 miles
Time  34:57:35
Kcal  20793
Press-ups 380
Swimming 8000 m
Sauna  2:10 mins

FUNDRAISING
The fund is at £423.33 now (thanks WREXHAM!!).

If you haven't already donated then take a look at http://www.virginmoneygiving.com/pitymyfeet and help the wonderful work of MENCAP.  Thank you so much to everyone who has sponsored already. I respect and love you all!!!  I hope to boost this total on Saturday with a whole heap of small (and large!!) change in my collection tubs.  Can't wait!!

Feel free to contact me with any fundraising ideas you have.  You can email me at:
miffjacobs@hotmail.com

DONATE

Please remember that I'm inflicting all this pain and misery on myself for a cause greater than just having a good story to tell over a beer. I hope to raise over £9,500 for MENCAP; an amazing charity who help those born with learning difficulties to live a normal life and to enjoy the same opportunities and choices that the rest of us take for granted.

Be an awesome human being today and click on the link below and help make someone's life better.

Thank you.  You really ARE awesome.
www.virginmoneygiving.com/pitymyfeet

No comments:

Post a Comment