Saturday 12 November 2011

Saturday 12th November 2011 - Long Run 22 miles

Long run day today!  Getting up at 5am was a struggle to say the least.  I dragged my sorry bum out of bed eventually and was up and at 'em at 6am.

I ran through the dawn along the main road for the first 3 miles.  It was surprisingly busy considering the time of day!  I got off the main road and headed down some quiet lanes to the canal.  It was a beautiful morning!  I got to the canal just after dawn and then had a glorious 12 or so miles of soft bouncy canal path to run on until I got to Ellesmere then it was back to the lanes. 
I nearly got hit by another car.  This one was driven by a young guy (oddly wearing an old man's cap) with his girlfriend in the passenger seat.  They were both staring intently into his lap as they bore down on me, oblivious to the fact that the car was veering off the road and directly towards me!  I waved my arms like mad and managed to attract their attention in time.  The car swerved a bit as the driver corrected his course.  I made a hand gesture to indicate how he might better spend his time than delivering death along the back lanes.

I think there must have been a hunt on today as there were many clusters of country folk peering into the fields.  I never saw any hounds or horses myself although I did see a fox.  It seemed troubled and I suspect it had spotted the same signs I had and knew that it was going to be a tough day.

I tried something new today.  I made a video of my run!  It's not the most artistic or entertaining thing you'll ever see but if you want a graphic illustration of what 22 miles of running can do to a 41 year old office worker then take a look at the link below.

Video showing physical decline!

Peace, out!

JUST THE FACTS!!
Weight: 81.2 Kg

Today 
Distance 22.07 miles
Time  4:09:10
Kcal  2505
Elevation 304 ft
Press-ups 0
Swimming 0 m
Sauna  0 mins

Total
Distance 138.69 miles
Time  24:33:54
Kcal  14722
Elevation 4592 ft
Press-ups 320
Swimming 6250 m
Sauna  1:50 mins

CHARITY HURTS!!
Everything hurts below my waist!!!  My shins held up OK given the distance but I am still worried by them.  The most obvious physical effect of today is complete exhaustion.  After the run I fell back to sleep for two and a half hours and right now it's not even 8:30 in the evening and I could cheerfully go to sleep this instant.

FUNDRAISING
My sponsorship is now up to £331 on http://www.virginmoneygiving.com/pitymyfeet.  Thank you so much to everyone who has sponsored!!
Feel free to contact me with any fundraising ideas you have.  You can email me at:
miffjacobs@hotmail.com

DONATE

Please remember that I'm inflicting all this pain and misery on myself for a cause greater than just having a good story to tell over a beer. I hope to raise over £9,500 for MENCAP; an amazing charity who help those born with learning difficulties to live a normal life and to enjoy the same opportunities and choices that the rest of us take for granted.

Be an awesome human being today and click on the link below and help make someone's life better.

Thank you.  You really ARE awesome.
www.virginmoneygiving.com/pitymyfeet

1 comment:

  1. Al, just watched the vid - you are doing brilliantly, keep it up dude.

    ReplyDelete