Wednesday 4 January 2012

Tuesday 3rd December 2012 - 2:25 hrs Elliptical

So here's the theory.  I follow my training plan to the letter, except for one thing. I replace running with elliptical trainer, erm, training.  I take an average minute per mile time to work out how long a given run will last and then programme the trainer for the same amount of time.  Ergo, I do the same work, get the same benefit as I would running except that I don't put any strain on my calf. 

Perfect right?  Well yes, except for the fact that when I think about why I love running I think about the fresh air, the scenery, the chance meetings of friends and friendly strangers on the lanes.  A look at clear starry skies.  A battle through wind and rain to bring a triumphant feel to the run's end.  None of this can be re-created on an elliptical trainer.

But I'm a positive person so I'll focus on the things that are better on a trainer than on a road.  Firstly music.  I never listen to my ipod on the lanes because sadly some people are nutters behind a wheel and I need to know when cars are approaching in case I have to leap out the way.  Since starting my training I've had three or four scary near misses and it's simply not safe to run without being able to hear the approach of potential four wheeled doom.  So tonight on the elliptical I blasted a pretty awesome Heavy Rock playlist directly into the part of the brain that makes the legs move.  Secondly, and most unlikely, reading.  Clearly it's not practical to read a book while out running.  However tonight on the elliptical I managed to read about 100 pages of the Lord of the Rings.  In fact I got so absorbed in it that almost an hour of my workout passed by without me even thinking about it!

So that leads me nicely onto tonight's training.  It was supposed to be a 14 mile run so I calculated 14 x 12 minute miles gives 168 minutes, or 2 hours and 48 minutes.  Sadly I arrived at the gym just a little too late to do the entire amount so I only ended up doing 2 hours and 25 minutes.  Even so I'm pretty pleased with it.  No pain in my calf and enough work to leave me feeling tired.  An odd thing, at one point I lost the feeling in both legs below the knees.  It sounds a lot more dramatic than it was but it certainly made for an interesting walk (well, shuffle) to the loo half way through!

Activity on the fundraising front. I got 2,000 copies of the leaflets I designed printed up today (I know... I couldn't believe how quickly they could do it either!!).  So at the weekend I'll be out delivering them through some letterboxes.  I intend to use it as a training day, albeit with no running.  I'll give the backpack a go and take my cooker and some dried food out so I can try to get used to the self-sufficiency thing; cooking my food and hot drinks all day.  If you get a leaflet through your door please be kind to it and please be kind to me and send me a little donation!
 
Peace, out.

JUST THE FACTS!!
Weight: 79.6 Kg

TODAY 
Distance 0 miles
Time  0
Elliptical 2:25 hrs
Kcal  0
Press-ups 0
Swimming 0 m
Sauna  15 mins

TOTAL
Distance 315.28 miles
Time  54:50:38
Elliptical 3:40 hrs
Kcal  34,388
Press-ups 400
Swimming 9250 m
Sauna  5:30 mins

FUNDRAISING
The fund is at £481.53. 
If you haven't already donated then take a look at http://www.justgiving.com/pitymyfeet and help the wonderful work of MENCAP.  Thank you so much to everyone who has sponsored already. I respect and love you all!!! 

Remember that you can now donate by sending a text to 70070 saying (without quotes) "MIFF70 £5" but replacing the £5 with any amount you wish to donate.  I've tested it to make sure it works and it's EASY EASY EASY!!!  Try it!

Feel free to contact me with any fundraising ideas you have.  You can email me at: miffjacobs@hotmail.com

DONATE
Please remember that I'm inflicting all this pain and misery on myself for a cause greater than just having a good story to tell over a beer. I hope to raise over £9,500 for MENCAP; an amazing charity who help those born with learning difficulties to live a normal life and to enjoy the same opportunities and choices that the rest of us take for granted.

Be an awesome human being today and click on the link below and help make someone's life better.
Thank you.  You really ARE awesome.

http://www.justgiving.com/pitymyfeet

No comments:

Post a Comment