Friday 30 December 2011

Saturday 17th December 2011 - 15 miles of pain!

Well, it's taken me almost two weeks to write up this run.  Mostly because it's been a pretty miserable time on the training front.  The pain that I have mentioned over the previous few weeks really burned to the fore and I found that I was limping constantly and in constant pain with my right shin and calf. I could barely walk afterwards, let alone run.  And what started as a few days rest became two weeks of complete inactivity.  On the bright side I guess Christmas is as good a time as any to take a break from the training.

The pain has only started to subside in the last day or two (I'm writing this on the 30th December).  I finally went to the doctor yesterday and after a (very) painful examination he told me that the bone is fine (I had feared a stress fracture) and that the injury was a torn muscle in my calf.  If I'm honest he was a little dismissive and made me feel silly for having gone to the doctor with it at all. So I left without really questioning him about the recovery time.

So I now have to decide how much longer to rest it for. I'm quite indecisive about it.  There is a marathon in Liverpool tomorrow and I really really want to go and run it.  But I am haunted by the fear that if I do a marathon with an injury like this I may jeopardise my participation in the Marathon des Sables.  On the other hand, if I get through it without any major problems it will be a great way to kick-start my training into 2012; and I love marathon running so it will be fun too!!

Anyway, for completeness I should describe the run on the 17th as per the heading to this post.
The run itself was a reasonable one. A lot of pain on the six mile road run to Ellesmere but a more comfortable 9 to follow down the canal to the gym and then in for some sauna and spa time to ease the legs.

I got hit by the rain at about 8 miles but not as bad as the previous time I'd done this route.  The split times tell a story of injury and fatigue though.  I only got below 10 minute miles once on the whole run and that was mile ten when I was on good canal path ground and was fully warmed up.  However the pain in my leg never really went away and with hindsight I probably shouldn't have done this one.

Oh, but I did reach the 300 mile mark in my training.  A bittersweet record considering the price I paid but it was nice to breach another round number!

Peace, out.

JUST THE FACTS!!
Weight: 79.6 Kg

TODAY 
Distance 15.62 miles
Time  2:50:11
Kcal  2129
Press-ups 0
Swimming 0 m
Sauna  15 mins

TOTAL
Distance 315.28 miles
Time  54:50:38
Kcal  34,388
Press-ups 400
Swimming 8000 m
Sauna  4:10 mins

FUNDRAISING
The fund is at £481.53. 
If you haven't already donated then take a look at http://www.justgiving.com/pitymyfeet and help the wonderful work of MENCAP.  Thank you so much to everyone who has sponsored already. I respect and love you all!!! 

Remember that you can now donate by sending a text to 70070 saying (without quotes) "MIFF70 £5" but replacing the £5 with any amount you wish to donate.  I've tested it to make sure it works and it's EASY EASY EASY!!!  Try it!

Feel free to contact me with any fundraising ideas you have.  You can email me at: miffjacobs@hotmail.com

DONATE
Please remember that I'm inflicting all this pain and misery on myself for a cause greater than just having a good story to tell over a beer. I hope to raise over £9,500 for MENCAP; an amazing charity who help those born with learning difficulties to live a normal life and to enjoy the same opportunities and choices that the rest of us take for granted.

Be an awesome human being today and click on the link below and help make someone's life better.
Thank you.  You really ARE awesome.

http://www.justgiving.com/pitymyfeet

No comments:

Post a Comment