Sunday 11 December 2011

Saturday 10th December 2011 - 20 miles

Twenty miles tonight during which I learned a few useful things.  Well, one really useful thing actually.  About nutrition.  I ran with my pack (just 3 Kg tonight) and in it I had NAKD Apple Pie bars and a pack of beef jerky.  I've read that beef jerky is a great thing to take with me because it's almost pure protein but also has plenty of salts to help my electrolite balance when I'm drinking so much water.  The plan was always to eat the jerky after the end of each stage to help me recover in time for the following day's stage.  However for some reason tonight I took the jerky out with me.
 
My fuelling plan was for one NAKD bar (98 cal) every five miles.  Although this is quite low calorifically I was pretty well fuelled at the start and also had 500 ml of Iso Energy Sports Drink (153 cal).  So I would take on around 450 cal during the run and would accept the net loss of about 1,700 cal of fat burning to try to reduce my love handles.  Of course it doesn't work out like that because I replaced a lot of calories when I finished!!  Anyway, I digress.



Up until around 13 miles I was feeling pretty good and was ticking along at just under 11 mpm.  A nice steady long run pace for me.  However I started to feel really hungry and, more than that, I was craving the taste and saltiness of the beef jerky.  I quickly went from a mild desire to an overwhelming longing for it.  Being rational and scientific I decided that perhaps my body was low on salts and therefore craving the sodium.  So, at my 15 mile turn-around I opened the jerky and ate the whole packet.  As well as the NAKD bar and a huge glug of water.  Big big mistake.

Almost immediately I began to feel nausea.  This built to stomach cramps and then incredible weariness and fatigue.  My splits soared beyond 11 mpm and eventually up beyond 12mpm.  Mile after cruel mile seemed to extend into infinity and I was running as if through treacle.  If you can call it running.  I would say "trudging" is more apt.

There was no doubt about it.  This was a tough 20 miles.  I don't know if it was the jerky that perhaps made it difficult for my stomach to digest the NAKD bar and thus deprive me of a little energy boost.  Or if it was just that my body is tired and 20 miles was always going to be tough for me tonight.  Instinctively though I think it was the effect of the jerky mid-run.  I will stick with it because I love the flavour but from now on I shall only ever eat after I finish training.

The run finished in 3:46 with an average pace of 11:18 mpm. The fatigue and pain meant I had to fight a considerable mental battle to keep going and I am grateful for the training opportunity that gave me.

However the story of this tough run didn't end there.  Almost as soon as I was out of the shower I felt sharp pain in my right calf, on the inside edge.  This grew worse and worse until by late evening I couldn't put any weight on my right foot at all.  This has continued and now (Sunday lunchtime) I realise that there is no way I can do today's 10 miles.  So this week will end on a whimper of just 38 miles with two sessions missed through injury.  Monday is an official rest day but I will decide later during it whether I should tag Sunday's ten miles to it or continue to rest.

Peace, out.

JUST THE FACTS!!
Weight: 79.6 Kg

TODAY
Distance 20.02 miles
Time  3:46:26
Kcal  2185
Press-ups 0
Swimming 0 m
Sauna  0 mins

TOTAL
Distance 291.63 miles
Time  50:34:17
Kcal  31,371
Press-ups 380
Swimming 8000 m
Sauna  3:35 mins

FUNDRAISING
The fund is at £481.53. 
If you haven't already donated then take a look at http://www.justgiving.com/pitymyfeet and help the wonderful work of MENCAP.  Thank you so much to everyone who has sponsored already. I respect and love you all!!! 

Remember that you can now donate by sending a text to 70070 saying (without quotes) "MIFF70 £5" but replacing the £5 with any amount you wish to donate.  I've tested it to make sure it works and it's EASY EASY EASY!!!  Try it!

Feel free to contact me with any fundraising ideas you have.  You can email me at: miffjacobs@hotmail.com

DONATE
Please remember that I'm inflicting all this pain and misery on myself for a cause greater than just having a good story to tell over a beer. I hope to raise over £9,500 for MENCAP; an amazing charity who help those born with learning difficulties to live a normal life and to enjoy the same opportunities and choices that the rest of us take for granted.

Be an awesome human being today and click on the link below and help make someone's life better.
Thank you.  You really ARE awesome.

http://www.justgiving.com/pitymyfeet

No comments:

Post a Comment