Saturday 10 December 2011

Friday 9th December 2011 - 8 miles tempo

After the weekend's exertions and Tuesday morning's 10 miler I started to feel sharp pains in my lower legs.  This got worse through Tuesday until by the late evening I was getting stabbing pains through my legs with every step.  It was a little better on Wednesday morning but was still painful so I decided to bring forward the Friday rest day.  It seemed to work a little but Thursday also was painful.  This, coupled with an inconvenient work schedule, made me decide to take a further rest day.

I'm a little sorry to have done it because it won't be easy to make up those miles but I think it's important not to push myself over into an injury that might leave me unable to train for weeks.  I fear that I'm flirting with the dreaded shin splints.  If I got those now it would knock me out until after Christmas and I definitely can't spare that time!

But tonight I felt a little more confident and decided to do the 8 miler that was in the schedule for Thursday.  This way I will end the week just 6 miles down on the schedule and having effectively only missed on training session.

I did the route that I've favoured lately, down the hill to Tallarn Green, on a bit further then turn around and back the way I came.  Up the hill.  I'd set myself a goal pace of 10 mpm and although normally the Thursday sessions would include some speed work I had decided not to bother with that because of the continuing pain in my shins.

My first mile was 9:45 and felt tough and slow.  Also slippy on the ice that was forming on the lanes.  I picked up a little in mile two (9:04) and decided that although I wouldn't do any speed work I would run up all the hills.  This would a) give me some strength training and b) get me to the pub earlier.

Mile three was 8:45 as I felt some strength come into my legs.  I felt like pushing it a little to see how much strength really was there and I got to mile 7 without having dropped over 9 mpm since mile two.  With one mile to go I decided to test my determination and my ability to push forward even when tired and I upped the pace once more with a last mile of 7:55 mpm.  Which is like lightening for a tortoise like me!!

I've still got a lot of pain in my lower legs.  I fear at some point I'll have to take a full week out to let them recover properly.  But not yet eh?

Peace, out.

JUST THE FACTS!!
Weight: 79.6 Kg

TODAY
Distance 8.03 miles
Time  1:10:59
Kcal  919
Press-ups 0
Swimming 0 m
Sauna  30 mins

TOTAL
Distance 271.61 miles
Time  46:47:51
Kcal  29,186
Press-ups 380
Swimming 8000 m
Sauna  3:35 mins

FUNDRAISING
The fund is at £486.53.  Thank you Olly for the generous donation :)
If you haven't already donated then take a look at http://www.justgiving.com/pitymyfeet and help the wonderful work of MENCAP.  Thank you so much to everyone who has sponsored already. I respect and love you all!!! 

Remember that you can now donate by sending a text to 70070 saying (without quotes) "MIFF70 £5" but replacing the £5 with any amount you wish to donate.  I've tested it to make sure it works and it's EASY EASY EASY!!!  Try it!

Feel free to contact me with any fundraising ideas you have.  You can email me at: miffjacobs@hotmail.com

DONATE
Please remember that I'm inflicting all this pain and misery on myself for a cause greater than just having a good story to tell over a beer. I hope to raise over £9,500 for MENCAP; an amazing charity who help those born with learning difficulties to live a normal life and to enjoy the same opportunities and choices that the rest of us take for granted.

Be an awesome human being today and click on the link below and help make someone's life better.
Thank you.  You really ARE awesome.

http://www.justgiving.com/pitymyfeet

No comments:

Post a Comment