Monday 26 March 2012

Sunday 25th March 2012 - Sunshine kit test

Hello World!

What a glorious weekend of sunshine that was; and what a glorious week of sunshine ahead of us here in North Wales.  Amazingly the temperatures here in the UK are currently on a par with those in the Sahara desert.  Somehow though I doubt my luck can hold for another two weeks to give me a cool desert experience so I'm still working on the assumption that I'll have some heat related challenges ahead of me.

Yesterday my training was more about testing some aspects of my kit that I hadn't tried before than about doing anything towards my overall fitness.  I bought a 'belly bag' a couple of weeks ago and I wanted to test it out at the same time as my backpack.  The new bit of kit is wonderful, with twin water bottle holders and two huge pouches for food bars, map book, safety kit etc to get me easily through the checkpoints and kit inspections.  It fits quite nicely around me and works well with my rucksack, leaving a decent space for my number to be visible on my chest.

My training was good, twice up Moel Famau.  It's not a big mountain and from car park to summit was about 25 minutes at a good walking pace.  So in total only an hours climbing.  Parts of it are pretty steep though and gave my calves and feet a good workout.  I had 10Kg in the pack so a little more good practice under weight.

The weather was gorgeous and all in all it didn't feel like training at all.  In fact it felt like a nice stroll followed by a hilltop picnic for one!

Now if only the Sahara Desert can be as pleasant as this I'll have a jolly old time of it!!

Sadly, my running-geek instincts failed me and I forgot to take my GPS watch so no distance, climb, or heartrate information on this one.  At a guess I would say probably 5 miles distance, 1000 feet of climb, variable heart rate and VERY VERY VERY slow pace.

Less than two weeks to go now until the off.  Please consider sponsoring me or donating to Mencap at www.justgiving.com/pitymyfeet.  All donations are gratefully received!

Peace, out.

No comments:

Post a Comment